A roundup of 25+ delicious vegan chickpea recipes. I hope that this roundup offers you recipe inspiration for flavourful and hearty vegan main courses, soups, stews, salads, bowls, and there’s even a refreshing beverage in the mix. Lots of easy and quick recipes in this roundup, all hearty with plant-based protein and fiber from chickpeas.
Chickpeas have been one of my favourite ingredients even before I started posting recipes on this blog. They’re versatile, hearty, delicious, and easy to find at lots of grocery/food stores. I love cooking dried chickpeas from scratch (love getting mine from Flourist), but I also lean on the convenience of canned ones as well. Chickpea flour is also an amazing ingredient! You’ll find a couple recipes that utilize it here. Amongst these vegan chickpea recipes you’ll find: so many main courses, hearty salads, soups, stews, and even a beverage that utilizes the canning liquid. Let’s get to it 🙂
1. Avocado Chickpea Salad. This tangy salad is delicious stuffed into lettuce/radicchio leaves or in between a couple slices of bread. So hearty and flavourful with lots of herbs and citrus.
2. Napa and Kale Slaw with Crunchy BBQ Cauliflower, Chickpeas & Pickled Jalapeño Ranch. This is the heartiest and most flavourful salad in existence! The crisp little bites of chickpea are so good, and the dressing alone is just a total, immersive flavour experience 😉
3. Seven Spice Chickpea Stew with Tomatoes & Coconut. This is such a pantry-friendly dinner and it comes together in less than 30 minutes. That creamy hit of coconut is so delicious with all of the spices.
4. Green Goddess Bowls with Pepita Lime Sauce & Chickpeas. I love a hearty grain bowl with chickpeas in the mix, and this one definitely hits the spot. The creamy sauce is so delicious with toasted pumpkin seeds, lime, spices, and garlic.
5. Grilled Broccoli and Pepperoncini Pasta Salad with Basil and Chickpeas. This is a satiating and flavourful pasta salad with some smoky charred broccoli, slightly spicy pepperoncini peppers, olives, basil, and a fresh lemony oregano dressing.
6. Stuffed Spaghetti Squash with Chickpeas & Garlicky Arugula Cream. I love this meal that’s conveniently stuffed into a squash half! The garlicky arugula cream is so delicious on a bunch of different meals. Pasta, grain bowls, as a dipping sauce for crispy cauliflower etc.
7. Twice Baked Potatoes with Buffalo Chickpeas & Cauliflower. Only 10 ingredients needed for this mega-flavourful vegan main course. The chickpeas and cauliflower are bathed in spicy Buffalo sauce before being nestled into a fluffy and salt-crusted baked potato.
8. Braised Harissa Eggplant with Chickpeas. This spicy and flavourful stew features velvety pieces of fried eggplant, chickpeas, tomatoes, and herbs. This is a very pantry-friendly recipe as well.
9. Chickpea, Cauliflower & Old Bay Veggie Burgers. Less than 10 simple ingredients are needed to make these satisfying veggie burgers.
10. Rosemary Mushroom & Chickpea Ragout on Toast. This is the best warm lunch when you’re craving comfort. Less than 10 ingredients and ready in 20 minutes.
11. Herbed Chickpea Pancakes with Zesty Lemony Tahini & Roasted Vegetables. These savoury pancakes are directly inspired by pudla, a staple of Gujarati cuisine. They are easy to customize, so delicious, and make such a satiating quick lunch.
12. Frothy Spiced Cold Brew. This beverage uses the liquid from canned, unsalted chickpeas aka aqufaba! Combined with spices and coconut sugar, it makes a seriously fun “cold foam” to top iced coffee with.
13. Creamy Lemon Orzo with Chickpeas & Broccoli. This is a hearty and crowd-pleasing main that’s ready in 40 minutes with 10-ish ingredients. Such a flavourful winner of a meal! Even better with a sprinkle of homemade vegan “parmesan.”
14. Vegan “Butter” Chickpeas. This is a totally plant-based take on butter chicken/murgh makhani, a spiced, rich, tomato-based curry. We use cashews and a good amount of refined coconut oil to get that “buttery” quality and silky texture. This dinner recipe is ready in 40 minutes.
15. Vegan Butternut Galette with Apples, Shallots & Black Pepper Chickpea Crust. Chickpea flour helps us get a super flaky and delicious vegan pastry for this comforting main course. Its super savoury flavour is just right here, along with the Dijon mustard, rosemary, and thyme.
16. Cauliflower & Roasted Chickpea Salad with Herbs, Apples, and Avocado. This is an older recipe, but still super popular! It’s a fun salad-y take on cauliflower rice with lots of flavour from the crisped up chickpeas, herbs, and creamy cubes of avocado.
17. Broccoli Rabe and Chive Pesto Orecchiette with Smoky Chickpeas. Tons of flavour in this ten-ingredient pasta that’s topped with smoky paprika roasted chickpeas.
18. Buffalo Chickpea Chili with Mushrooms. This spicy and hearty chili comes together with 10-ish ingredients and is extra good with a dollop of cool vegan cashew “sour cream” on top.
19. Vegan Summer Garden Pasta with Cherry Tomatoes, Chickpeas & Chard. This simple pasta is perfect for all of those abundant summer crops. Flavourful and easy to make with any type of pasta that you prefer.
20. Loaded Shawarma-Spiced Fries with Lemony Tahini and Crunchy Veg & Chickpea Salad. This is the loaded fries situation of my dreams. Creamy tahini sauce on perfectly spiced potato wedges, all topped with a crunchy vegetable and chickpea salad.
21. Sweet Potato Sunshine Salad with Date Vinaigrette and Chickpeas. I went with lots of Morrocco-inspired flavours in this sweet potato salad and the results are so flavourful. Warm spices, date vinaigrette, chopped pistachios, and lots of chopped fresh mint and cilantro.
22. Smoky Chickpea, Cabbage & Lentil Soup with Kale. This soup is hearty, warming, and simple to prepare with lots of great smoky and garlicky flavour.
23. Brussels Sprout and Kale Caesar Slaw with Sunflower Seed Dressing and Smoky Chickpeas. Such a cozy take on a caesar salad! The Brussels sprouts and kale are shredded and coated in a creamy sunflower seed based caesar dressing. The smoky chickpeas give a slightly bacon-y vibe 😉
24. Harissa Chickpea Bowl with Potatoes, Lemony Tahini & Greens. Flavours of harissa paste are built up in a simple chickpea stew and served with roasted potatoes, greens, and a simple lemon tahini sauce.
25. Butternut Minestrone with Sage, Chickpeas & Chard. This is the most perfect hearty Fall soup! Soft bits of squash, hearty chickpeas, a rick tomato-y broth, cold weather herbs like sage, and lots of chopped chard make this soup so lovely with a crust of bread.
26. Lemony Spring Pasta Salad with Chickpeas, Vegetables & Herbs. This cold pasta salad is so fresh with the lemony vinaigrette, blanched spring vegetables like asparagus, and a heavy hand of fresh herbs. Perfect for a picnic!
Seven Spice Chickpea Stew & 25 More Vegan Chickpea Recipes
Seven spice chickpea stew with tomato and coconut is an easy and healthy weeknight meal that’s naturally vegan and gluten-free
Servings: 4 (with sides)
- 2 teaspoons olive or coconut oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, small dice
- seven spice blend (see below)
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups cooked chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 cup jarred/canned diced tomatoes
- 1 cup light coconut milk
- sea salt and ground black pepper, to taste
- ⅓ cup chopped flat leaf parsley or cilantro (or a combination)
In a deep skillet or a small soup pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Once the oil is lightly shimmering, add the onions to the pan. Cook and stir the onions until translucent and quite soft, about 5-6 minutes. You want the onions to be quietly sizzling while they cook, so lower the heat if necessary.
Add the spice blend to the skillet and stir. Once the spices are quite fragrant and fully integrated with the onions (about 1 minute), add the tomato paste, mashing it with the back of your spoon into the spices and oil. Add the garlic and chickpeas and stir the mixture for 30 seconds.
Add the balsamic vinegar and tomatoes to the pan and stir, using the back of your spoon to scrape up any brown bits that may have formed on the bottom of the pan. Add the coconut milk to the skillet and season the stew with salt and pepper.
Bring the seven spice chickpea stew to a boil, and then lower the heat to a light simmer. Cook the stew for about 10-15 minutes, or until the flavours have melded to your liking. Garnish the top of the stew with the chopped parsley/cilantro. Serve stew hot with polenta, brown rice or any other accompaniment you like.
- This stew has very few ingredients, so it’s ideal to use good quality tomatoes and fresh spices.
- I made this during the day for the purpose of photographing/sharing it here, but when I reheated it for dinner, I added about 1 cup of chopped Swiss chard for an extra hit of greens